Our Shelter Helpers are life savers.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Animal Refuge League of Greater Portland. We are excited to connect with community members who are as dedicated and enthusiastic about animals as we are!
Before submitting your application, please read about our program to make sure that it is a good fit for you.
*Please note: If volunteer applicants need community service (school OR court), please visit the community service page.
ARLGP volunteers are self-motivated, mature, sensitive, and dependable. If you are interested in joining our volunteer team, below is a list of questions that you should ask yourself to make sure that volunteering is a good fit for you:
- Are you over the age of 16? 16 is the minimum age to volunteer independently. If you are 13-15, you may be accompanied by an adult who is also a volunteer to perform the same tasks as a team.
- We also have Junior Volunteer Days under our Humane Education Department for youth volunteers ages 5-18. Learn more.
- Do you have consistent, reliable transportation?
- Do you have health insurance? All ARLGP volunteers are required to be covered under their own health insurance policy. There are no exceptions to this.
- Do you meet the necessary Essential Capabilities needed to volunteer safely?
- Are you able to make at least a 6-month commitment to a regular, weekly volunteer shift?
- Do you have reliable access to the internet for obtaining information about volunteer positions and shelter updates?
If you answered “no” to one or more of these questions, the ARLGP Volunteer Program may not be the best fit for you. Please feel free to connect with our volunteer coordinator at email@example.com or (207) 517-3934 to discuss any questions or concerns.
Frequently Asked Questions
Questions about volunteering? Here are our most frequently asked questions regarding our volunteer program.
Volunteer Job Descriptions
Read about the different types of jobs our volunteers assist with here.
Ready to get started? Here’s how:
Step 1: Watch our Virtual Volunteer Orientation Video HERE to learn more about becoming an ARLGP volunteer. The video is approximately 15 minutes long and will introduce you to our shelter’s life-saving work and how volunteers support our mission. It will help to ensure that our programs are the best fit for your volunteering goals. This is a requirement before you apply. At the end of this video you will be prompted to complete a short quiz on the information presented. Successful completion will unlock our volunteer application.
Step 2: Submit your application! We ask for a one-time $15 application fee to help cover the administrative costs of running our robust volunteer program. Once the fee is paid, you will receive an automated email containing a link to complete your application. Be sure to check your junk/spam folder!
Step 3: Sign up for a Volunteer Service Planning Session. Available dates will be listed at the end of the application. These small group sessions will include:
- Learn more about becoming an Animal Refuge League of Greater Portland Volunteer
- Review the Volunteer Manual
- A walking tour of the facility
- Basic needs training: basic needs covers those essential tasks that help our shelter run smoothly such as laundry and dishes
- A review of open volunteer positions and the opportunity to select a volunteer shift
Step 4:Training! Following the planning session, the Volunteer Coordinator will review your paperwork and place you in the volunteer program if our assignment matches your skills, interests, and availability. Once you have received your volunteer offer, you will start your training!
- back to top -