Our Shelter Helpers are life savers.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Animal Refuge League of Greater Portland. We are excited to connect with community members who are as dedicated and enthusiastic about animals as we are!
Before submitting your application, please read about our program to make sure that it is a good fit for you.
*Please note: If you are a student looking to complete short-term volunteering required for school, please visit the community service page.
ARLGP volunteers are self-motivated, mature, sensitive, and dependable. If you are interested in joining our volunteer team, below is a list of questions that you should ask yourself to make sure that volunteering is a good fit for you:
- Are you over the age of 16? 16 is the minimum age to volunteer independently. If you are 13-15, you may be accompanied by an adult who is also a volunteer to perform the same tasks as a team (see below for more on co-volunteering).
- We also have our Humane Helpers program under our Humane Education Department for community youth who want to support our shelter and pets and are in grades K-8. Learn more.
- Do you have consistent, reliable transportation?
- Do you have health insurance? All ARLGP volunteers are required to be covered under their own health insurance policy. There are no exceptions to this.
- Do you meet the necessary Essential Capabilities needed to volunteer safely? (If no, see below for info on co-volunteering).
- Co-volunteering requirements: In cases where an individual requires a supervising co-volunteer due to age or disability, the co-volunteer must also complete the application and training process. Co-volunteers must be over the age of 18 and be the same individual each time to ensure that training is retained.
- Are you able to make at least a 6-month commitment to a regular, weekly volunteer shift?
- Do you have reliable access to the internet for obtaining information about volunteer positions and shelter updates?
If you answered “no” to one or more of these questions, the ARLGP Volunteer Program may not be the best fit for you. Please feel free to connect with our volunteer staff at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss any questions or concerns.
While being a part of progressive lifesaving comes with plenty of rewards, there are many other reasons to volunteer with us:
- Help save the lives of animals in need and help individuals and families find loving companion animals
- Continuing education opportunities
- 10% discount on ARLGP merchandise plus access to special discounts throughout the year
- Lifetime service milestone awards
- Annual appreciation event
- Annual exclusive ARLGP volunteer tee
- Gain valuable experience and skills that transfer to academic pursuits, careers, and other volunteer roles
- Become part of a network and community of other ARLGP volunteers
- Endless love and adoration from thousands of pets and pet families!
Frequently Asked Questions
Questions about volunteering? Here are our most frequently asked questions regarding our volunteer program.
Volunteer Job Descriptions
Read about the different types of jobs our volunteers assist with here.
Ready to get started? Here’s how:
Step 1: Watch our Virtual Volunteer Orientation Video HERE to learn more about becoming an ARLGP volunteer. The video is approximately 15 minutes long and will introduce you to our shelter’s life-saving work and how volunteers support our mission. It will help to ensure that our programs are the best fit for your volunteering goals. This is a requirement before you apply. At the end of this video you will be prompted to complete a short quiz on the information presented. Successful completion will unlock our volunteer application.
Step 2: Submit your application! We ask for a one-time $15 application fee to help cover the administrative costs of running our robust volunteer program. Once the fee is paid, you will receive an automated email containing a link to complete your application. Be sure to check your junk/spam folder!
Step 3: Sign up for a Volunteer Service Planning Session. Available dates will be listed at the end of the application. These small group sessions will include:
- Learn more about becoming an ARLGP Volunteer
- Review the Volunteer Manual
- Walking tour of the facility
- Review of open volunteer positions and the opportunity to select a volunteer shift
Step 4:Training! Following the planning session, we will review your paperwork and place you in the volunteer program if our assignment matches your skills, interests, and availability. Once you have received your volunteer offer, you will start your training!
- back to top -