Adopt a Pet
Our (Current) Adoption Process
The ARLGP is currently open to in-person visits for adoption. We are committed to maintaining the health and wellbeing of both the animals and people in our facility. Our emphasis at this time is on adoption services and finding homes for pets in need.
We are not open for general visits from those who are not seriously interested in adopting (community outings, field trips, group visits, etc.) at this time.
Our adoption days/times:
- Monday, 11am-3:30pm
- Tuesday, 11am-3:30pm
- Thursday, 11am-3:30pm
- Friday, 11am-3:30pm
- Saturday, 11am-3:30pm
- Sunday, 11am-3:30pm
- We are closed weekly on Wednesdays.
What does this mean? PLEASE READ BEFORE VISITING:
- We are open for in-person first-come/first-served adoptions.
- At 10am on the days we are open, sign-in sheets will be placed on our front door to track the order of arrival of adopters arriving earlier than 11am. Once you sign in, we ask that you remain on our campus until we open.
- During our open hours, you will be greeted at our front desk and assigned a place in line based on your first-come/first-served order of arrival. When there is an adoption counselor available to assist you, you will meet the animal you are interested in to begin the adoption process.
- Please note that it can take over an hour to complete an adoption from start to finish, depending on how busy of a day it is. It is most busy at 11am when we open, and on weekends.
- Community members interested in adopting a pet are encouraged to look on our website and visit us if there is an animal you are interested in adopting.
- We will not be open for general visits from those who are not seriously interested in adopting (community outings, field trips, group visits, etc.) at this time.
Our Adoption Fees
Dogs & Puppies
- Puppies aged 2 months-6 months: $550
- Puppies 7 months up to 12 months: $500
- Dogs 1 year up to 5 years: $300
- Dogs 5 years up to 10 years: $250
- Dogs 10+ years or special needs: name your own fee
- All dogs 12+ months from partner shelters/rescues (outside of Maine): $450
Cats & Kittens
- Kittens aged 2 months-10 months: $250
- Kittens 11 months up to 2 years: $160
- Cats aged 2 years-8 years: $100
- Cats aged 9 years-12 years: $50
- Cats aged 13 and older and special needs cats: name your own fee
Small Animals & Birds
- Rabbits: $40 individual, $60 pair
- Ferrets: $55 individual, $100 pair
- Guinea Pigs: $20 individual, $30 pair
- Rodents: $10 each
- Male rats: $25 individual, $35 pair
- Female rats: $40 individual, $50 pair
- Parakeets: $15
- Cockatiels/Lovebirds: $40
- Finches: $5
What does your adoption fee cover?
All fees cover life-saving treatment and care provided by the ARLGP to the more 4,00 pets that come through our doors every year.
Our adopted dogs have received:
- spay/neuter procedure
- heartworm test (over 6 months)
- age-appropriate vaccines: distemper, kennel cough, rabies (rabies is given to dogs over 16 weeks)
Our adopted cats have received:
- spay/neuter procedure
- feline leukemia test, feline immunodeficiency test (over 6 months)
- age-appropriate vaccines: distemper, rabies vaccination (over 16 weeks)
- necessary treatments: basic worming, ear mite treatment, etc.
- back to top -