Animal Health and Wellness
Low-cost spay/neuter services for eligible community members
QUALIFICATIONS (only one qualification needs to be met):
- If you are a full-time student
- If you are receiving public assistance
- If you fall within our income guidelines of wages/household size (our team member will assess this for you)
To apply for low-cost spay/neuter for your dog, cat, rabbit or rat, please fill out our online spay/neuter request form. An ARLGP team member will respond to you within 48 hours of your form submission to confirm your eligibility and to schedule your pet’s spay/neuter appointment.
- We are unable to spay/neuter English Bulldogs, French Bulldogs, and Great Danes
- Older animals may require pre-surgery bloodwork from your veterinarian. Our clinic scheduler will discuss these requirements with you in advance.
ARLGP Litter Helpers
Have a cat with kittens? A dog with pups? If you surrender your litter to the ARLGP, we will spay and return the mom to you at no charge. For more information, please call the ARLGP at (207) 854-9771.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS
If you are in need of financial assistance for urgent or emergency veterinary services, we have compiled a list of external foundations and programs.
ARLGP WELLNESS CLINICS
We know a healthy pet is a happy pet! Our seasonal ARLGP Wellness Clinics offer low-cost vaccinations and microchipping for cats and dogs, to help ensure our community of companion pets is happy and healthy.
UPCOMING WELLNESS CLINIC: Check back for our winter 2020 date!
Menu of services and fees:
- Rabies vaccination: $15 per pet
- Distemper vaccination: $10 per pet
- Bordetella (kennel cough) vaccination: $10 per pet
- Microchipping: $25 per pet (special discounted rate for wellness clinic participants)
Things to know if attending:
- Services are always first-come, first-served.
- Dogs must be on leash, and cats in a carrier.
- If you are seeking a 3-year rabies vaccine, you must bring veterinary records showing your pet’s 2017 and 2016 rabies vaccinations were given within 1 year of each other, per state law. *There are no exceptions to this.
- Please expect a wait time of approximately 45 minutes-1 hour (dependent on event participation, wait time could be less or more). We appreciate your flexibility and patience as we provide this service to our community members.
Other Community Spay & Neuter Programs
Animal Welfare Society
Community members who meet income guidelines can receive assistance for feline spaying or neutering. Contact AWS at (207) 292-2424 for more information.
Community Spay and Neuter Clinic
Located in Topsham, this clinic offers low-cost spay and neuter services for dogs and cats. For more information call (207) 721-8395.
Greater Androscoggin Humane Society
The Greater Androscoggin Humane Society Spay Incentive Certificate Program provides discount spay certificates to individuals who bring litters of puppies or kittens to the shelter if the individual still has the mother of the litter. The owner of the mother is issued a Spay Incentive Certificate to be used at an area veterinarian. GAHS also offers Neutering Discount Services, giving available funds for neutering assistance to individuals and families in financial need. For more information on GAHS spay and neuter services and programs, please contact them at (207) 783-2311.
HELP! FIX ME: Maine’s Low Cost Spay & Neuter Program
Low-cost spay and neuter program coordinated by the State of Maine, based on income guidelines. Call 1-800-367-1317 or (207) 287-7621 for more information.
Microchipping is our #1 way to reunite lost pets with their owners. Microchipping is a quick and easy way to ensure your animal is properly identified in the event that he/she gets lost. Microchipping appointments can be made by calling the shelter at (207) 854-9771, or simply walk-in during our open hours. The cost is $40 per pet and comes with a one-year registration.
LOCAL EMERGENCY ANIMAL HOSPITALS
Animal Emergency Clinic
739 Warren Avenue, Portland, Maine 04103
Animal Emergency Clinic of Mid-Maine
37 Strawberry Avenue, Lewiston, Maine 04240
Maine Veterinary Referral Center
1500 Technology Way Enterprise Park, Scarborough, Maine 04074
- back to top -