Shelter Helpers Volunteer Application
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Animal Refuge League of Greater Portland. We are excited to connect with community members who are as dedicated and enthusiastic about animals as we are!
*Please note: If volunteer applicants need community service (school OR court), please visit the community service page.
Age & Health Insurance
- You must have current health insurance
- Age requirements:
- Minimum age is 13, volunteering with a parent/guardian until 16 (child and adult must each complete an application, attend orientation, and co-volunteer in the same job)
- 16 years old to volunteer independently or
- 16 years old to work with dogs
- 18 years of age to volunteer in the surgery clinic
Most Shelter Helper positions require a commitment to one weekly shift. Due to the time involved with training new volunteers, we ask that volunteers be able to commit to volunteering for a minimum of 6 months. If you are unable to commit to a weekly shift, we do have some positions that are filled as needed, such as Events, Community Outreach and Transport Drivers.
1. Complete a New Volunteer Application online and sign up for a New Volunteer Orientation session
2. Attend a New Volunteer Orientation (required): Orientations are held monthly, and last about 45 minutes. Here you will learn about our organization, volunteer program and policies, types of volunteer jobs, and current shelter needs. You will be added to our new volunteer email list, and will receive a monthly email with current volunteer opportunities.
3. Choose a shift and complete training: Let our Volunteer Coordinator know what shift you are interested in, and we will get you in to train with your department. Training is a critical component of volunteering, and typically takes place during your first shift.
Please read all of the age and time requirements/commitments above, to ensure that our volunteer program meets your expectations and schedule. If so, please complete our volunteer application form. This form will ask you to pay a $10 application fee. Once submitted, you will receive a confirmation email to complete your volunteer application and select your orientation date and time.
Why is there an application fee? We ask for a one-time $10 application fee to help cover administrative costs of running our robust volunteer program.
Questions before you start your application?
Don’t hesitate to connect with our volunteer coordinator, Shannon Cote, at email@example.com or (207) 517-3934.
- back to top -