Fees and Applications
Our Adoption Fees
Dogs & Puppies
- Puppies aged 2 months-6months: $450
- Puppies 7 months up to 12 months: $425
- Dogs 1 year up to 5 years: $300
- Dogs 5 years up to 10 years: $250
- Dogs 10+ years or special needs: name your own fee
- All dogs 7+ months from partner shelters/rescues (outside of Maine): $425
Cats & Kittens
- Kittens aged 2 months-6 months: $225
- Kittens 7 months up to 2 years: $150
- Cats aged 2 years-8 years: $100
- Cats aged 9 years-12 years: $50
- Cats aged 13 and older and special needs cats: name your own fee
- Parakeets: $15
- Cockatiels/Lovebirds: $40
- Finches: $5
- Rabbits: $40 individual, $60 pair
- Ferrets: $55 individual, $100 pair
- Guinea Pigs: $20 individual, $30 pair
- Rodents: $10 each
- Male rats: $25 individual, $35 pair
- Female rats: $40 individual, $50 pair
COVID-19 Adoption Process
Please view our current online adoption process being used through our COVID-19 public closure.
WHAT DOES YOUR ADOPTION FEE COVER?
All fees cover life-saving treatment and care provided by the ARLGP. View a complete list of services and treatments below.
Dogs adopted from the ARLGP will have also been provided the following services and treatments:
- spay/neuter procedure
- heartworm test (over 6 months)
- distemper and kennel cough vaccination
- rabies vaccination (over 16 weeks) and tag
- leash and collar
- discounted coupon for ARLGP canine obedience classes
Cats adopted from the ARLGP will have also been provided the following services and treatments:
- spay/neuter procedure
- feline Leukemia test
- feline immunodeficiency test (over 6 months)
- rabies vaccination (over 16 weeks)
- distemper vaccination
- basic worming
- ear mite treatment (if necessary)
ADOPTION HOLDS FOR DOGS OVER 6-MONTHS
Holds are now available for dogs over the age of 6-months for potential adopters who have met the following criteria:
- Have visited the shelter
- Have met a dog they are interested in welcoming home
- Have completed and adopter survey and have received adoption counseling for that dog by an ARLGP adoption counselor
- At the end of counseling, a hold can be placed on the dog to allow the potential adopter extra time to consider adoption.
Same day hold: $20
Same day holds give the potential adopter until 4pm Monday, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and until 3pm on Saturday and Sundays—this hold is valid until this time on the same day of adoption counseling.
Overnight hold: $40
Overnight holds give the potential adopter until 4pm Monday, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and until 3pm on Saturday and Sundays the day after the hold was placed.
Animals placed on hold, but are not adopted by the hold placer, will be available for adoption again the following day.
Hold fees are not refundable and are not transferrable to adoption fees.
Microchipping is our #1 way to reunite lost pets with their owners. Microchipping is a quick and easy way to ensure your animal is properly identified in the event that he/she gets lost. Microchipping appointments can be made by calling the shelter at (207) 854-9771, or simply walk-in during our open hours. The cost is $40 per pet and comes with a one-year registration.
- back to top -